If a pipe bursts it will spill several hundred gallons of water per hour, and can cause the homeowner thousands of dollars in damages. As soon as you realize a pipe has burst you need to take immediate action by calling ServiceMaster Restore®.
These locations are prone to freezing pipes:
- Outside walls
- Under a sink
- Unheated crawlspace
Cold or warm climates, pipes can freeze due to:
- Quick drops in temperature
- Poor insulation
- Thermostats set too low
- A 1/8-inch crack in a pipe can spew up to 250 gallons of water a day, causing flooding, serious structural damage and the immediate potential for mold.
Here’s how you can prevent water pipe bursts during cold weather:
- Let cold water drip from faucets served by exposed pipes during periods of extreme cold
- Open cabinets to allow heat to warm pipes
- Use spigot covers to protect exterior faucets